The Discipleship Pastor must fulfill his or her duties with excellence and ministry appropriateness. This person is responsible for overseeing, developing, and advancing First Christian Church’s holistic discipleship process and programming thereof. This person is committed to the recruitment, directing, and development of lay leaders in the areas of small groups, serving groups, classes, mentoring and other areas related to discipleship.
The person filling the position at First Christian Church will be a vital part of the staff and leadership team, using innovative and intentional ministry to accomplish our church’s mission of “Developing devoted followers of Jesus Christ by Growing and Serving Together.” A professional approach in speech and dress and a spiritual attitude are expected at all times.
- This individual will have accepted Jesus Christ as the leader and forgiver or his or her life and is committed to growing in their walk with Jesus Christ. This person will have a strong biblical foundation.
- The candidate must have a minimum of a baccalaureate degree in ministry/theology and five years of vocational ministry experience. Experience and skills in interacting with people of varied life and spiritual backgrounds are required.
- He or she must be able to work in a multi-staff setting with other ministry professionals maintaining interpersonal and relational skills. He or she must demonstrate the ability to work as part of a team to accomplish ministry goals. His or her beliefs must coincide with the First Christian Church Statement of Faith.
- As a member of the staff and the congregation, it is expected this person will continue their professional and spiritual development through appropriate classes, bible studies, involvement in small group ministries, or other appropriate means.
In addition to the required skills, experience or knowledge in the following areas are beneficial:
- Understanding of discipleship processes and spiritual formation
- Understanding of how Christianity can impact contemporary culture
- Adult Christian education and ministry
- Event Planning
Essential Job Functions:
- General oversight of the discipleship ministry of First Christian Church including, but not limited to:
- Leadership and oversight of holistic discipleship processes for those far from Christ to those mature in their devotion to following Jesus Christ
- Leadership and oversight of all Grow Together (Groups, Classes, Mentoring) and Serve Together Groups (church and community)
- Leadership and oversight of specific adult ministries (Men’s, Women’s, etc.)
- Shared leadership with Hospitality Coordinator for involvement in Grow and Serve Together Groups and other points of connection for church involvement and spiritual growth.
- Leadership and oversight of the Wednesday Night Equip program, teachers, and classes.
- Enlist, direct, and develop volunteer leaders in discipleship programs under the philosophy and mission of “serving together.”
- Explore, create, and implement new ministries for “developing devoted followers of Jesus Christ” at all stages of the discipleship process.
- Develop and implement metric systems for tracking and assessing involvement and spiritual growth at all stages of the discipleship process
- Partnership with the Family Ministry Team in supporting the discipleship process of children, teens, young adults, and families as a whole.
- Assist the Lead Pastor and Executive Pastor in developing and accomplishing the overall mission, vision, and shared objectives of First Christian Church
- Perform other work as required or requested
- This is a full-time position under the oversight of the Elders and Administrative Committee of First Christian Church.
- This staff member reports directly to the church’s Executive Pastor.
- Adherence to scripture as a guide for Christian lifestyles, behavior, and respect for authority is expected.