The Elementary Children’s Ministry Director must fulfill their duties with excellence and ministry appropriateness. The Director is responsible for the ministry to families with children from kindergarten through fifth grade. First Christian Church views this position in a holistic manner. Thus, this responsibility includes equipping parents of these children in developing and nurturing Christian practices. First Christian Church wants to foster ways that children and their families can grow and serve together.
The person filling the position of Elementary Children’s Ministry Director at First Christian Church will be a vital part of the staff and leadership team, intentionally serving and ministering to elementary children and families. They will work closely with the Family Ministries Team, specifically the Elementary Children’s Ministry Assistant Director, to achieve goals and direct ministry to elementary children and families. A professional approach and spiritual attitude are expected at all times.
- This individual will have accepted Christ as the leader and forgiver of their life.
- The director must have ministry experience and a minimum of a baccalaureate degree preferably in ministry, theology, or education or a seminary degree completed or in process.
- Also required is a passion for the spiritual development of elementary children and their families.
- They must be able to work in a multi-staff setting with other ministry professionals maintaining interpersonal and relational skills.
- They must demonstrate the ability to work as part of a team to accomplish ministry goals.
- Their beliefs should coincide with the First Christian Church Statement of Faith.
- As a member of the staff and the congregation, it is expected this person will continue professional and spiritual development through appropriate classes, bible studies, involvement in small group ministries, and/or other means.
In addition to the required skills, experience, or knowledge in the following areas are beneficial:
- Strong Biblical knowledge foundation
- Understanding of how Christianity can impact contemporary culture
- Ministry or church administration
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with database management, presentation software, social media, and other IT platforms
- Leadership that effectively emphasizes and instills the values of spiritual formation and community
- Recruiting and maintaining volunteers in ministry
- Ability to effectively manage ministry budget
- Ability to work as a team with other family ministry staff members
Essential Job Functions:
Leading the ministry to elementary children and their families including, but not limited to:
- Develop and implement programming for elementary children for weekend services, regularly scheduled midweek services, as well as special events
- Recruit and train volunteers from the congregation to join the ministry to elementary children that honor volunteers’ time, talents, and resources
- Assist members of the Family Ministries Team and additional staff in the development and implementation of programs, classes, events, and resources to equip parents of elementary children in being spiritual leaders at home.
- Maintain an attractive ministry space conducive to fellowship and spiritual growth by keeping current displays, keeping all classroom and other supplies in stock and in order, and other care of resources as required.
- Provide a good transition for children from the pre-kindergarten ministry into the elementary children’s ministry and from the elementary children’s ministry into the student ministry.
- Maintain weekly attendance and contact guests to thank them for attending.
- Keep parents informed of schedules, activities, special events, and the progress of their child.
- Work with and communicate effectively with the Family Ministries Team with regards to planning, organizing, and implementing programming.
- Meet with the Family Ministries Team, pastors, and other staff personnel on a regular basis to communicate, plan, evaluate, and coordinate scheduling of assigned duties.
- Assist in the development of the Elementary Children’s Ministries budget, and then operate within that budget to the extent directed.
- Actively seek ways to promote this ministry to the congregation and the public at large.
- Plan regular activities for children to bring friends as a means of evangelism.
- Maintain safety and security processes as outlined in the Children’s Ministry Policies and Procedures manuals.
- Implement and maintain team building and training opportunities for children’s ministry staff and volunteers.
- Coordinate conference/workshop attendance for elementary children’s ministry staff.
- Perform other related duties as required or requested.
- This is a full-time position under the oversight of the Elders and Administrative Team of First Christian Church.
- This staff member reports directly to the Family Ministries Pastor and is under the direction of the Executive Pastor.
- Adherence to scripture as a guide for Christian lifestyles, behavior, and respect for authority is expected.