Vocational Discernment

4 Pitfalls in Looking for a Ministry Job

Looking for a ministry job can feel overwhelming and confusing. There are so many different positions and churches out there that it can be difficult to know which one God is leading you towards, or even if he wants you to look to leave your current ministry in the first place. While we certainly know God is leading and guiding all of us, it is very easy for our humanness to cloud our ability to decipher God’s plan for our ministry career.

I have compiled a list of four common pitfalls that those looking for a ministry job often fall into. Some of these pitfalls I have experienced myself or learned from others in my 20 years of being a pastor. Now as a consultant who works with churches in a variety of capacities (including staffing/hiring) I get to see first hand the importance of being intentional in a ministry job search. My hope is that becoming aware of these four pitfalls will help you wade through the fog and find the next step God has for you.

Pitfall #1: Leaving a ministry job too early

This is one of the most common pitfalls I see ministry job seekers fall into. This pitfall typically stems from a frustration in a current job that begins to snowball, and before you know it, grows into a belief that God is calling you elsewhere. Let me be clear: every ministry job is going to have frustrations and that doesn’t necessarily mean we should leave. Frustrations in ministry are like the lights on a car dashboard. They indicate that we should get curious in order to understand why we’re frustrated. Typically, the frustration signals that there is an area of unresolved tension, a lack of clarity or an area of self-growth – not that we should leave.

A good question to ask yourself when you are unsure if you are being released from your current ministry assignment is: Is God calling me towards something or am I trying to run away? In my own journey, I have found that God doesn’t typically call us to run away. Instead, this desire to run away is an indicator that we should get curious. Being honest with yourself about this question is key to knowing whether you are in God’s will by seeking a new ministry job, or if God actually wants you to stay rooted where you are – and there is some clarity, conversation, or growth you may need to seek out.

Pitfall #2: Overestimating your ability to change a church’s culture (or your ability to serve effectively within it)

The culture of a church is a huge piece of the puzzle when trying to discern if the role you’re exploring is a good fit. Many times we think that our ability to change the culture will be easier and faster than it truly is. Other times, we think “it’ll be fine” even when our internal alarm bells are going off, warning us that the culture doesn’t fit us well.

When considering a position at a church, you have to remember that any church’s culture is built on years of beliefs and behaviors that have been passed down and reinforced over and over. It takes time to change a culture, so it’s important that you don’t think you will change things overnight. True cultural change takes years and sometimes decades. Before taking any ministry position, it’s imperative to ensure that you are a true cultural fit on day one on the job.

A good question to ask yourself when discerning cultural fit is: Would I go to this church even if I didn’t work here? If the answer to this is ‘no’ then there’s likely a misalignment that needs to be explored further. Ignoring this could lead to frustration and a very short tenure working at that church – both outcomes that no one wants.

Pitfall #3: Overlooking differences on theological or philosophical stances

The number one reason why new hires in ministry jobs don’t stay very long is a misalignment in theological and/or philosophical viewpoints. You don’t need to be perfectly aligned on everything, but you must take the time to understand the theological and philosophical stances of the church (as well as share your own). As a prospective employee at the church, you will want to not only be comfortable working in an environment with those theological/philosophical viewpoints, but also comfortable respecting, teaching, and sharing those views as an employee and representative of the church.

Candidates can fall into this pitfall because they get excited about the job and prematurely think “I can make it work”. I’ve talked to many candidates over the years that indicate they’re in alignment with the theology and philosophy a church has shared with them only to find out after they’ve taken the job that it wasn’t a good fit after all – after a relocation, lots of time and money invested, and much frustration.

If you’re unsure if you will be comfortable with a church’s theological/philosophical stances, ask yourself: If I was in a 1-on-1 conversation with a church member, would I be able to express/teach that theological/philosophical viewpoint without reservation? If the answer is ‘no’, it’s a good idea to dive deeper to understand why. More than likely, however, the ‘why’ is that you are not theologically/philosophically aligned with that church.

Pitfall #4: Underestimating (or under-representing) financial needs

No one does ministry for the money, but you still must ensure you’re financially free enough to be able to focus on ministry (and not overly focused on how you are going to pay the bills). Many prospective ministry job seekers have a perspective that “God will provide”, and I have no doubt that he will, but he also asks us to be wise. It’s important that we are realistic about our financial needs, circumstances, and what it would cost to live in an area. It’s a good idea to create or update your budget early in the process of looking for a ministry job. Research the cost of living in a geographic area you’re exploring, and take into account financial commitments you’ve already made (student loans, car payments, etc.).

Honestly ask yourself: Can I afford to take the salary that is being offered for this position? If the answer is ‘no’, then you should have a tactful and transparent conversation with the church about where you stand. Sometimes the church will be willing to increase the starting salary to meet your needs and/or they may be unaware of how hard it would be to live off the salary they are offering. Being honest about your financial needs is essential to ensure you are able to provide for yourself (and your family) and have the freedom to invest fully into the work of ministry.

Conclusion

God has a plan for your life, but these pitfalls can get in the way or cloud that plan. By avoiding these common pitfalls, you can wade through the humanness we all experience and discover the plan God has for you vocationally.

The true test of any vocational change is: Am I listening to what God is calling me to do, or am I just excited about the possibilities that come with this job (or even what I’ll be leaving in my old job)? Vocationally, the sweet spot for all of us is to live firmly within the plans that God has for us and the rest will work out. We must remember to: “Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need” (Matthew 6:33). “Everything you need” certainly includes the right ministry position for you.

Bio: Nathan Branam is a graduate of Milligan University and spent the first 18 years of his career in vocational ministry before starting N8 Solutions in 2022. N8 Solutions provides recruiting, coaching, facilitation, training and leadership consulting services for churches and organizations globally. Nathan resides in the suburbs of Indianapolis with his wife and four children, and can be reached at: info@n8leader.com.

More Resources